Friday, August 31, 2012

Greetings from Trails......It's been a while since I submitted my last blog. I got a new sales rep position with a performance apparel line named, RYU. The line features recycled materials, organic material, anti-microbial, moisture wicking technical styles, plus some great sportswear. I've been busy with trade shows, learning the line, phone calls to potential and current accounts. Doesn't leave much time for the beach and surfing. Plus, I try to hit the gym to lift weights 2-3 days a week.

I surfed yesterday afternoon around 4pm and had the place to myself for 30mins. Very glassy conditions, tide a little high, but some really fun waves coming thru with great shape. The new swell wasn't really showing itself, so I was hopeful that tomorrow would bring bigger, more powerful waves. The water is super warm, still, and there is nothing better than surfing in board shorts. I always seem to surf better minus the wetsuit.

So, today, it was bigger, but the swell still hasn't hit. I'm sure the high tide had something to do with that, as there was a bit of backwash. I surfed my 9'7"Regal single fin yesterday and it was the perfect board for the conditions. I surfed my 9'0" Redline11 today, as I knew it would be bigger and better, with much more juice. I wasn't disappointed, but I still brought along my 7'10" Bonzer just in case it was well overhead. That board is really really fast and much easier to duck dive.


So these are some pictures taken after my surf sesh. They are really fun to watch, especially when they surf the waves air currents. My walk down to the beach was uneventful, but when I got to my little alcove, there was this big guy setting up to go surfing. We exchanged greetings, and then all of a sudden he asks me if I would rub sunblock on his back.....say what? He says, "I'll rub some on your back if you rub some on mine". I said that wasn't really an incentive. He then shows me a stage 2 melanoma scar, so what could I do? I had to rub lotion on his back, since he was trunkin it, and not wearing a rash guard. I rubbed the lotion on his back, and yes, it was kinda strange....I was hoping no one I knew saw me. I then decided, since I forgot my vest and rash guard, that I would let him reciprocate, so he rubbed lotion on my back. He thanks me and I say "my pleasure"....huh, what? I look up at him as I said that, and then said "well, it really wasn't my pleasure, and we both laughed. Every wave I caught was perfect, and I surfed each wave flawlessly. I think my Redline is the best board I've ever owned. Thanks Bill!! I got out after about an hour. I then picked up trash for 15mins, and walked back up the 1/4mile hill.

I usually stop at the top to catch my breath and watch the action. It got kinda crowded, but crowded at Trail 1 is 2 dozen guys out. The new problem is that the sweepers have discovered this spot, and it's going to become an issue. Most, not all, of these SUPer's are wave hogs, and try to catch every wave that comes along. I really think they should move down the beach away from the surfers. I do envision problems and confrontations down the road. They need to be respectful of the surfers, because they have a huge advantage over a prone paddle surfer. I'm looking forward to summer being over, and school back in session, as that will diminish the crowds considerably.

Well, will try to surf over the weekend, but I know it will be a zoo. Time to fire up the grill and start the weekend. The last picture is some guy walking down the trail. It's an easy walk down, but a real bitch coming back up, especially with a longboard.

Ciao for now folks.........this is ScooterSurfs and I am out!!



1 comment:

  1. I was up in San Clemente a few weeks ago. I went specifically to video the Amtrak and Metrolink train action at the San Clemente pier. Had a great time!

    ReplyDelete